Sunday, August 19, 2007

Another week gone by

And so time passed by with nothing extraordinarily great done...



I found a bug in the latest beta - it teleports droids to the great unknown because I didn't adjust the teleport routine when I changed the waypoint system. Fixing that didn't take long, but with the released beta you need to enter another deck and come back to get droids back. Just visiting a lift doesn't work.



Multicolor is almost working. Almost, but not quite. I really should have done multicolor changes too when I changed the hires font...



I saved 70 bytes in the background star drawing by combining the top and bottom routine, it's not time critical so I could shrink the code without worrying about the speed. Adding random stars and blinking took most of the freed space, but I guess I can accept that.



I've used some of the new droid-specific data in old routines, speeding them up slightly as well as making them smaller. Inserting new droid AI makes every droid take slightly longer time to run, so I need every cycle I can get. I want to make big bad droids get irritated by the smaller ones when alarm is high if possible. I can already see 834 bumping into 329, shooting it out of the way and then rushing into the explosion. :)



One thing to consider is to make two passes through the droids when running them, handling visible ones in the first round and the remaining ones in the second. That way I could exit early if it looks like I'm running out of time. Sorting out-of-view droids by their distance would make it work even better, but sorting takes time...

No comments: